Re: [GNUnet-developers] Namespaces / GNML

From: Tracy R Reed
Subject: Re: [GNUnet-developers] Namespaces / GNML
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2003 15:37:59 -0800

On Sun, Jan 19, 2003 at 05:18:39AM +0000, Tom Barnes-Lawrence spake thusly:
>  I came up with a different approach: whilst I deplore Freenet's way of
> doing everything through a browser+gateway, and the situation that you
> couldn't search for anything (maybe that's changed now), the point
> of having some content that was HTML linking to other Freenet content
> did have a little merit-

I think it should be pointed out that Freenet does not do everything
through a browser+gateway. That's like saying the only way to access the
Internet is the web. HTTP is only of of the many protocols you can use to
access Freenet. You can access the freenet server directly with Freenet
Client Protocol (FCP) or you can use one of the many applications that use
FCP such as Frost of Freenet Message Board (FMB) to do it. The web
interface is just one way. You still cannot search for things in freenet
and it seems unlikely that you will be able to. You *can* however
implement searching in your client by doing a search on the applications
metadata files as Frost has done. There are tons of searchable mp3's and
movies etc available in frost.

--
Tracy Reed      http://www.ultraviolet.org