[GNUnet-developers] Possible 0.5.0 tcp leak bug warning.

From: Igor Wronsky
Subject: [GNUnet-developers] Possible 0.5.0 tcp leak bug warning.
Date: Thu, 26 Dec 2002 02:04:11 +0200 (EET)

Hullo all,

I just noticed on my debian setup that gnunetd had >400 tcp
sockets allocated, which most of were of type ESTABLISHED. One of
the hosts had 94 connections. ;) This sounds quite a lot
like the TCP socket leak bug to me, a problem that
was supposed to be gone.

While this bug is being tracked, the team brains being on
christmas holidays, and so on, I suggest that everyone
interested runs 'netstat' after a while of gnunetd operation,
and if the output seems to have unreasonable amount of
active sockets, change gnunetd to use only "udp" transport,
if you're not exactly depending on tcp. The tcp socket
leak might cause nasty stuff, like inability to open
new connections when needed, and loss of all connectivity.
Its better not to take the risk.

Igor