Re: [GNUnet-developers] Freenet 0.5

From: Tracy R Reed
Subject: Re: [GNUnet-developers] Freenet 0.5
Date: Wed, 6 Nov 2002 11:49:07 -0800

On Wed, Nov 06, 2002 at 08:24:50PM -0800, Jan Marco Alkema spake thusly:
> -     the use of database programs (MySQL, Oracle, Sybase, Postgress, etc.)
> besides flat files. Store all data in (My)SQL. Have a good database design.
> All warnings, errors must be stored in database.

This is an extra dependency which greatly complicates installation and
precludes windows clients. I think it would be best to keep things as
simple as possible.

> -     the integration of a cdrecord program. All Cd’s, Dvd’s (distributions)
> must automatically be identified.

Why? What would it record? Hard to make cross-platform. Do one thing and
do it well.

> -     transport and the level of encryption depending on the information. For
> example the photos of the summer camp have not to be encrypted. They can be
> spread on the Gnunet with “ftp speed”. Mail text encrypt with x number key.
> Attachments and streaming video encrypt with y number key (y << x).

Encrypt everything. It makes it harder to find the sensitive stuff among
the noise.

> -     first zip than encrypt. Before file transfer the file should be zipped.

Good except except for mp3, divx, jpg, and anything else precompressed
which are likely to be the majority of content.

> -     The use of banking transactions for coordination means to give priority
> the requesting file transfers.

gnunet already has an economic system.

--
Tracy Reed      http://www.ultraviolet.org
"Our products just aren't engineered for security." - Brian Valentine,