[GNUnet-developers] Java (was Freenet 0.5)

From: Jan Marco Alkema
Subject: [GNUnet-developers] Java (was Freenet 0.5)
Date: Sun, 3 Nov 2002 19:12:31 -0800

Hello LCID Fire,

I have some experience with Java. I worked with others to rip the Dutch
telephone guide (Cdfoon). CMG has made the java version for KPN (telephone
company). I think it was written in C. The versions of 2002 are based on
Java. They have serious problems with performance of the Java version. CMG
has chosen a very good normalization of the database. A strong normalization
gives a lot of database calls. What is a good design? Fast results or don’t
store information more than one’s?

>I don't assume that anybody wants to develop the core in anything other
than c++

I agree with you. I think there should be different GUI’s (Java, Windows
/API, GTK, PHP) which interface with the gnunet core (port 2087).

>Otherwise I personally think java is a great language to make gui
interfaces.

The java classes of cdfoon gui can be decompiled very easy. In mine opinion
it could be used for gnunet for an initial version. It has search screen and
a result screen, etc.

>I think if gnunet gets popular people would like to connect to the core
through websites (php) or from other computers and so soon alternative guis
will be developed. So you could just make some interfaces (e.g. java native
interface) that communicate with the core and this way everybody can built
it's own gui...

The problem is copy right laws. If you use your own computer you are
responsible for face the copy right laws (see it as a FTP utility). If you
download it from GUI of person A. Person A get a copy right problem.

I know that there are a lot of windows (API) sources available on the
internet. Why should we use these programs to get a initial version of the
windows version?

Greetings Jan Marco