Re: [GNUnet-developers] gnunet-chat

From: James Blackwell
Subject: Re: [GNUnet-developers] gnunet-chat
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2002 23:37:48 -0400

> Well, I don't know how to change the build process to selectively build it
> (--with-chat), but either way, go a head and put any message that you see fit
>:-)

How about a simple #ifdef ?

> Chat messages will be received since capabilities are not advertised; yet,
> the
> node will certainly not forward any chat traffic. If the chat code would be
> improved to only send messages to other participants, the node may not
> receive any traffic at all. The problem is, that on the internet, you can
> never make sure that somebody else is not sending you data, all we can do is
> drop it on the floor.

Yes. Not much can be to stop traffic once someone has decided to send
it. Maybe the right solution is to penalize any host that sends us chat
packets. This would work well in hand with the fundamental philosphy
behind gnunet: Get rewarded for what others want by getting what you
want. Heavy chatters would actually be encouraged to hold larger stores
(thus more likely become cachers of more useful data) to pay their debt
to society.

I'm sorry. I'll go crawl back under my rock now. :)

--
GnuPG fingerprint AAE4 8C76 58DA 5902 761D  247A 8A55 DA73 0635 7400
James Blackwell  --  Director http://www.linuxguru.net