Re: [GNUnet-developers] What's next (was: Fwd: Asymmetric load patch)

From: Igor Wronsky
Subject: Re: [GNUnet-developers] What's next (was: Fwd: Asymmetric load patch)
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2002 20:02:30 +0300 (EEST)

On Sun, 28 Jul 2002, Christian Grothoff wrote:

> What can be done?
> 2) The best solution I can come up with would require a ton of really
> hard-to-write code.

This has a strong whiff of the well-known and NP-complete "knapsack"
problem.

Issues similar to this have been probably addressed in queue theory,
scheduling and routing. Several approximation algorithms should exist
that could be used after some tweaking.

And I wouldn't wonder if there's even a 'truck loading paper' somewhere.
The situation is essentially same: we have several packets (trucks)
that will leave on schedule. Also we have a dynamic warehouse of
junk of different sizes and values enroute to howandaland and such.
Some of the our junk might go stale if lingers too long. How to stuff
the trucks to maximize the gain?

Asking a logistics expert or consulting a library might provide
better solution than ad-hoc kludging. ;)

Igor