Re: [GNUnet-developers] namespace

From: Christian Grothoff
Subject: Re: [GNUnet-developers] namespace
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2002 23:59:23 -0500

On Wednesday 17 July 2002 10:20 pm, Glenn McGrath wrote:
> I think its important that a namespace be supported by GNUnet.
>
> Searching does provided a way to locate documents, however isnt
> satisfactory for dynamic content.
>
> e.g. One of my goals is to distribute debian metadata via GNUnet, i would
> like to create a signed index file that defines the packages available for
> a particular release. This index file would have a list of hash values for
> each packages metadata.
>
> Users could search for this index file, but they have no way of knowing if
> the search result refers to the current index file, or an old index file.

How about storing a date/timestamp in the index file?

> Web pages might be another example, im sure tis something that will come
> up again and again.
>
> A namespace could be formated something like urn:gnunet:<host-id>:<path>
> the path would be controlled by whoever controls the host-id.

If you put the host id in the path, it is pretty clear from whom the content
is coming from (host-id is in some sense equivalent to an IP). OTHO,
publishing an urn does not imply that the content came from that entitiy,
just that that entity is aware of the content. Still this makes you a
slightly more visible target for a legal attack (which may be ok in the
software distribution scenario).
Also how would you enforce that other hosts can not publish anything in this
namespace?

> This urn could simply point to a gnunet hash which can be handled like
> normal gnunet content, when content changes the owner of the urn just
> changes the hash that the namespace points to and inserts the updated
> content like normal.

Is a urn bound to the host that it resides on or does it move in the network?
If urns move, how do you do the distributed update? Why do you want the
(useless) "urn:gnunet" header? gnunet:// should do if we really need a prefix
(stick to common notations!). How would the urn differ from a web-site (http)
containing the references?

If urns do not move, what happens if the host goes offline? Does all the
content it linked to become unavailable?

How do users find the "path" part of the urn? How do users get the urn in the
first place?

Christian
p.s.: How is gnutls going?