Re: Possible nomenclature confusion

From: Davi Leal
Subject: Re: Possible nomenclature confusion
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2007 12:46:51 +0100

Noah Slater wrote:
> > I've been poking around the GNU Herds site today and it occured to me
> > that the name is perhaps a little confusing. Of course the GNU kernel
> > is called the "GNU Hurd" and your association's name looks /and/
> > sounds the same.

IMHO, people will learn to differentiate it. The proposed name of the
Association shall be GNU Herds, to be known publicly as GNU Herds - Free
Software Association. Ref.: http://gnuherds.org/charter

The problem to change the name is that it have already being used to make
marketing:

   On the news: (Italian) http://www.tuxjournal.net/?p=1184

   On the news: (English)
http://blue-gnu.biz/content/gnu_herds_job_site_free_software_focus

Therefore, the logo and GNU Herds name have being already used. I am not sure
if it is good idea to change it.  Anyway 'campaigns@' have the last word.

> I don't know how I forgot to mention... Another concern is that you
> are using the GNU mark without being an official project - this is
> perhaps misleading. Like calling something the Microsoft Workshop and
> not actually being officially endorsed by Microsoft.

About using the GNU name, it was already agreed with RMS, even not being an
official project.

  The Ethics Officer will be appointed by the Free Software
  Foundation, Inc. to ensure the below points:
    * The integrity of the GNU name is not breached.

  Ref.: http://gnuherds.org/charter#Committee

There is not problem with the "being an official project" because we were
allowed, and now we will even be official.  To avoid confusion I am going to
remove the "non official" text at the bootom of the web page.

We can not add  "The GNU Herds project is an official part of the GNU
Project." because it has not 'officially' announced. There is just an email
from RMS. Maybe you think is enough to add the 'official' label?

RMS wrote:
  "... this activity is meant to provide a job site for the
   GNU Project, which meas following the GNU Project's policies,
   and its definitions."

Ref.: http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/gnuherds-app-dev/2007-10/msg00056.html

Best regards,
Davi