Re: Prefix for subject line of list postings

From: Davi Leal
Subject: Re: Prefix for subject line of list postings
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2007 00:24:49 +0200

Frouin Jean-Michel wrote:
> do you think if it is possible to add something like: [GNU HERDS]
> in front of all Subject ? Like others ML did ?

It is possible using the below option of the HTTP administration interface of
the MailMan mailing list:

      * Prefix for subject line of list postings

However, it was decided some time ago that we should reserve the [] 'flag' to
things more important than an email list prefix.  Sometimes we add [] to the
subject by hand to highlight something:

  [GNU Herds service]: Set of options: JavaScript (yes/no), AJAX, CLI

     http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/gnuherds-app-dev/2007-04/msg00083.html

  [Roadmap -> Hackers' Guide] [e-Voting -> FAQ]

     http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/gnuherds-app-dev/2007-04/msg00190.html

  [task]: Remove the JavaScript requirement -- screenshots

     http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/gnuherds-app-dev/2007-07/msg00003.html

  [Add to FAQ]: Making the Association aims more clear -- proposal

     http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/gnuherds-app-dev/2007-09/msg00003.html

Besides, from time to time our email list get emails which from others list
which use the [] prefix.  Adding another prefix at our email list do not
help. It just overload the subject line even more.

  [gnu.org #333440] webapp: ( "Affero GPL v1" --> "GPL v3" ) + "MIT ...

     http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/gnuherds-app-dev/2007-04/msg00070.html

  [Pkg-isocodes-devel] iso-codes merging using trying to use ...

     http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/gnuherds-app-dev/2007-04/msg00165.html

I personally think adding a prefix does not help. It is not needed to filter
the list emails, etc.

Let me know your rationale if you think such decision was wrong.

Davi