Re: Debian vs gNewSense

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Debian vs gNewSense
Date: Sat, 06 Oct 2007 09:13:58 -0400

    I am personally interested in knowing the RMS' opinion about the below MJ's
    comments,   mainly if a split  debian.org / non-free.org  would qualify the
    Debian general project as "Free".

It would solve the problem, if it is done properly.  Thus, the
debian.org site and the software in it should not refer to the
existence of non-free.org in such a way as to suggest getting non-free
software from there.

I tried for years to convince Debian to do this, but I did not succeed.

      If not, what's the difference
    > between splitting debian.org and non-free.org and the current split
    > between gnewsense.org and ubuntu.com?

Although nobody denies that gNewSense is derived from Ubuntu, in my
understanding gNewSense does not suggest that people can find
additional non-free programs via Ubuntu.  In other words, these
two sites are properly separated, as I would hope debian.org would
be separated from non-free.org.