gnue-dev

Re: GNUe status

From: Florin Boariu
Subject: Re: GNUe status
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2019 16:46:02 +0100

Hello Marek,

(Also, "Hello" to the guys on the list :-) I apologize for making
an advertisement for another project, but I figure that everyone
may be looking for an ERP alternative if GNUe is no longer being
maintained. The other project is also GPL'ed as far as I know,
so... essentially, we're all in the same boat :-) )

If you have been considering ADempiere but have been put off by
the lack of progress, you may want to check out MetasFresh
(https://github.com/metasfresh). Essentially, these guys have taken
over what was left of ADempiere and rewritten most of it, piece
by piece.

Along with improvements in performance owing to better caching,
a major design goal seems to have been to transform the whole system
into a microservice-based architecture. This allows for easy
extension and customization within a particular company while still
staying compatible with upstream for the non-customized parts.

They've also built a company around support & customization for
MetasFresh, if anyone is interested in commercial support.

FULL DISCLOSURE: I'm not with Metas, but the company I work for
uses ADempiere since the time it was still called Compiere. We have a
heavily customized version that essentially lost any hope of merging
with upstream many years ago (not even considering the fact that the
ADempiere project is all but dead now). But we have two full-time
developers who keep our ADempiere alive & kickin' and write highly
specialized features we need. However, if we were to do it all again
starting *today*, we'd probably be doing it with MetasFresh. (We've
considered switching anyway, but as it stands, switching now would
cost us too much work for too little benefit, considering that we're
already fully committed to our own ADempiere fork.

Hope this helps a poor soul on the search for a solution :-)

If you have specific questions, you can email me privately at
florin (at) rootshell (dot) ro, so we don't spam the list
unnecessarily. I'll try to answer as well as I can...

Cheers,
Florin.