gnue-dev

Re: I want to help

From: Reinhard Mueller
Subject: Re: I want to help
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2011 10:32:07 +0100

Hello, Bruno!

Am Donnerstag, den 17.11.2011, 05:14 -0200 schrieb Bruno Félix Rezende
Ribeiro:
>   I studied the GNUe  a little and I think that what  you made until now
> is a very  good job.  I had some  ideas, but I think that  no one better
> than the developers to  tell me what need to be done.  I can spend up to
> 10  hours a  day working  in  this project.   I will  learn whatever  is
> necessary.  Please, tell me what  are the priorities.  It's better start
> to work in ERPs itself or in core tools?

Thank you very much for your interest and offer to contribute to the
development of GNUe, it is highly appreciated.

First of all, let me please emphasise that I strongly believe that you
should choose yourself which area you want to work in. In the end, your
work should help to make GNUe the tool that *you* need, so it would make
no sense at all if we would direct you to work in areas that are of no
use for you.

If I understand correctly, you want to use GNUe to create an end user
ERP solution, possibly specialized for a specific segment. A reasonable
approach might be to start designing this application, maybe just as a
proof of concept. While working on this, you might find out that some
features that you require in the core tools are missing and decide to
dive into the tools - while by then you might already have a deeper
understanding how GNUe is designed, because you've already used it to
build your application so far.

Once you start to contribute code to the core tools, we will require
copyright assignment from you, see
http://www.gnuenterprise.org/developers/copyleft.php

Of course there are other ways to contribute to GNUe without writing
code: our documentation needs a lot of work, and we are still in the
middle of the process of moving our infrastructure from a separate
server back to the "official" GNUe infrastructure (www.gnu.org,
savannah...) although it's so long that I last had time to work on this,
right now I don't even remember what the next logical step would be :-/

In any case you can count on my help whenever you need it, although from
time to time you might require a little patience since my time budget
for GNUe is much lower lately than I would like it to be.

Thanks,
Reinhard