gnue-dev

Re: gnue-designer

From: Reinhard Mueller
Subject: Re: gnue-designer
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2010 10:04:58 +0200

Hi,

the list generally looks good, I have some remarks which I hope might be
helpful.

Am Mittwoch, den 29.09.2010, 17:30 -0700 schrieb Randall Whitman:
> 0. load/launch program without fatal error - done 2010-09-28
> 1. Backends vs deprecated GConnections functions (non-critical?)

This is non-critical, but it should be done sooner or later.

> 2. AttributeError: 'GFEntry' object has no attribute 'dispatch_designer_event'
>    upon attempt to add any object (Label/Box) to new (or existing) form.
> 3. Do not put maxlength attribute in <field> element, as Forms now
>    strictly forbids it.  (dependent on #2 to test)

maxLength is now simply called "length", both are still generally
allowed (of course "length" is preferred"), they are just forbidden for
field datatypes with implicit length (boolean, date...)

> 4. Managed Layout instead of x-y coordinate layout  (dependent on #2 to test)
>    o. intelligible & self-explanatory prompts
>    a. create v-box
>    b. create h-box
>    c. create entry - partly to highly similar as current
>    d. create label - unchanged interface or match structure, i.e.
>          UI goes thru the entry rather than independent.
>    e. move elements in & out of, and between, h/v-boxes
>    f. is it possible to specify entry sizes with managed layout?

Yes, with the sizer: namespace, there is sizer:min_width,
sizer:max_width etc.

However, I'm not really happy with the way it works now, and I'm
considering to change how this works. Maybe it's best to just not
support this feature in designer for the time being.

Other than that, gnue-forms automatically decides the entry size based
on the length of the attached field, and this is what makes the most
sense anyway.

>    g. will it be possible to specify 2-D alignment of boxes as in
>       forms/samples/layout/absolute.gfd ?

You can nest vboxes and hboxes. There is no 2-D box. (yet).

> 5. Open/Load either legacy (0.5) or current (0.6) GFD format files.
>    (Forms does this.  maybe Designer gets free ride on Forms.)
> 6. Can we give the option to migrate old to new?
>    As discussed briefly with Reinhard (IRC), may be no well-defined
>    mapping from old to new - layout implying structure vs structure
>    deriving layout.

Some things which have changed could surely be automated, like name
changes of attributes (e.g. "maxLength" -> "length").

Thanks,
Reinhard