gnue-dev

Re: [GNUe-dev] setup.svn / FHS

From: David Ayers
Subject: Re: [GNUe-dev] setup.svn / FHS
Date: Mon, 01 Dec 2008 16:31:20 +0000

Am Donnerstag, den 27.11.2008, 15:52 +0100 schrieb Reinhard Mueller:
> Am Freitag, den 21.11.2008, 10:35 +0000 schrieb David Ayers:
> > But I believe that setup.svn currently isn't handling the installation
> > of the symlinks correctly.
>
> I think the absolute path is better (safer), and at least it shouldn't
> hurt. What problems were you experiencing?

I think I was attempting to duplicate the tree to test certain aspects
while reverting some other local changes.  Therefor I wanted the
symbolic links to be self contained.

But indeed my patch is broken.  It would actually need something like
"--target-directory=" which seem to be GNU extension to 'ln' and
therefor less portable.

Another alternative would be to 'cd' into each directory prior to
creating the symbolic link.

> > Yet this patch also includes the adaption of
> > CONFDIR to actually install into /usr/local/ since I that seems to be
> > what is expected later:
>
> A local install currently installs completely into /usr/local/gnue/,
> which is not FHS compilant. This was decided by the maintainers (jamest,
> jcater) and I didn't dare to change it until now.
>
> I agree it might be a good idea to reconsider this. However, technically
> it should work both ways.

ACK.  I'll keep the change local for now.  Once I understand more of the
current SVN-symlink infrastructure I can figure out how this could fix
in the greater picture.

Cheers,
David