gnue-dev

Re: [GNUe-dev] gnue-designer and Mandrake10.1

From: Adrian Maier
Subject: Re: [GNUe-dev] gnue-designer and Mandrake10.1
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 12:59:08 +0200

On Thu, Feb 24, 2005 at 08:41:34AM +0100, Bajusz Tamás wrote:

> > Could the problem be related to the version of wxPython which is 2.5
> > in Mandrake 10.1 ?
>
> Yes.
>
> >From wxpython.org :
> ---
> NOTE: The links below are for the binaries and source for wxPython 2.5.3.1.
> The 2.5.x versions are considered unstable development snapshots, meaning
> that the API is allowed to change from version to version, not that it is
> any more buggy than stable versions, (although it sometimes is.) Prior
> versions are available at SourceForge. The latest version from the stable
> (mostly frozen API) branch is 2.4.2.4 More information about the meaning of
> stable and unstable releases can be found at the ReleaseSeries page in the
> wxPyWiki.
> ---

The Mandrake folks seem to simply ignore the fact that newer versions
are also 'unstable'. In Mandrake 10.1 they've included a weekly
snapshot of ncurses, which simply broken some of my applications
(billing/accounting applications using postgres and ncurses).

> Gnue-designer doesn't support 2.5.x at the moment.

> Patches are welcome!
I'll try to study it a little.
It would be an opportunity to learn more about wxWidgets. But
gnue-designer will have to work with both 2.4 and 2.5 - which
might be untrivial and must be well tested.

Cheers,
Adrian Maier