gnue-dev

Re: [GNUe-dev] Creating a system for debug-levels

From: Reinhard Mueller
Subject: Re: [GNUe-dev] Creating a system for debug-levels
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2005 09:20:00 +0100

Am Donnerstag, den 10.02.2005, 18:29 -0600 schrieb Jason Cater:
> I like the idea of this. However, when I first started doing stuff in Common
> with --debug-level, I tried to keep all level 1 messages related to how the
> program was run and the user's environment.
>
> So, if a user is having issues, we could get them to send us the output of
> --debug-level=1 and we could get the basics of his system (i.e., Python
> version #, underlying operating system, parameters passed via command-line,
> etc.)
>
> I would like to see some number reserved for this.

I very much agree that this is a good idea.

Given the fact that we support more levels than 1-9 now, we could use
debug level 2 for that environment.

This would make the following list:

1: Warnings (things that shouldn't happen when everything was perfect)
   (e.g. depreciation warning, unicode conversion warning etc.)
2: info about system environment (python version, command line args,
   environment variables)
3: SQL commands sent to the backend, or similar information for non-SQL
   backends
4-6: can be used by the tools like forms, reports, appserver
7-9: can be used by common

common could use the 3 levels available for example like:
7: messages from GDataSource, GConnections etc.
8: messages from the base and DBSIG2 dbdrivers
9: messages from special dbdrivers

It could make sense to use something in Forms like:
4: logging of events
5: messages from form level
6: messages from widget level

Appserver would do something like:
4: logging of calls through the API (local or over XMLRPC)
5: messages on geas* level
6: messages on data.py, langauge and classrep level

If others feel that this might be a good system, I could write an RFC --
err -- technote about this and change the debug levels at least in
common and forms. (I have a need for debugging there and it would help
me much...)

Thanks,
Reinhard