gnue-dev

Re: [GNUe-dev] Creating a system for debug-levels

From: Reinhard Mueller
Subject: Re: [GNUe-dev] Creating a system for debug-levels
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2005 15:28:04 +0100

Am Donnerstag, den 10.02.2005, 14:10 +0100 schrieb Johannes Vetter:
> it's ok for me, except your level 3. shouldn't this (sql-commands) go
> into a common level too ? for example a function in forms (level 4)
> generates some sql-command on the backend (level 3).

The idea behind this is that it's a common wish to *only* see the SQL
commands, and nothing else. We usually use postgres' own logfile if we
want that, but other databases do't have such a file (or it needs some
manual configuration).

> depreciation warnings:
> using level 1 for this is ok, but what about a function like
> "gDepreciate (message)" ? if we would use 'gDebug ()' to print
> depreciations they would not be seen on stdout. using an explicit
> function for this could handle both, dumping to a given debug-level as
> well as printing to stdout/stderr or something similair.

Thinking about the curses interface, I would not like *anything* to be
printed to stdout and/or stderr.

We could at some point consider optionally logging to syslog:
level 1 = warning
level 2 = notice
level 3 = info
level 4-9 = debug