gnue-dev

[GNUe-dev] gnue_id, extending the existing DB tables

From: Fehér János
Subject: [GNUe-dev] gnue_id, extending the existing DB tables
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2005 17:36:52 +0100

Hi,

I'm new on the list, but with some of You I've met on
IRC.

In the last two days I've tried to understand the GNUe.
In my view GNUe is a mature, stable system, with a good
API, but there are no really usable modules. Yesterday
I've started an article series for GNUe, the first one will
be called "Customer Care".

But first of all, I have question: why do you using string
type for gnue_id in the database layer? It's not very efficient
on most of the DBMS. They like integers for this, I really think
64bit unsigned integers are should be enough. What was the reason?

I've a second question: what do you think about to extending the
tables? I've talk about this with Kilo. I think, the "person" package
should be handle many other fields, like photos and other media files,
unlimited phone numbers, addresses, alarms (to warn for his/her
birthday, or other anniversary) notes with timestamp etc. If you mind,
I'd like to implement it, because the above, I need a customer care
module (package? what is the right terminus?) and many other.

Hm?
--
http://mindworks.hu -  networking.it.solutions     : ` ügyvezető