gnue-dev

Re: [GNUe-dev] AppServer - list datatype

From: Reinhard Mueller
Subject: Re: [GNUe-dev] AppServer - list datatype
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2004 18:21:07 +0200

Hello, Kilo!

Am Don, den 21.10.2004 schrieb kilo um 18:10:
> As it can be seen on the above example, it would become much more
> efficient if procedures could return lists or tuples or dictionaries.

At first sight it seems so, yes.

However, we are trying to keep all doors open to allow module authors to
write procedures in languages other than Python - there has been already
a start for ECMAscript. Other languages might not know a concept of
lists, tuples, or dictionaries.

All the calls you listed above are processed within the same process on
the same machine, without any network in between. Also, none of these
calls should actually result in any request to the DB backend, as
appserver has all data it needs in it's cache.
So I suspect that the performance impact would not be as big as one
would think at first sight. Of course I would still be curious about
benchmarks :-)

Thanks,
--
Reinhard Mueller