gnue-dev

Re: [GNUe-dev] Proposal for i18n handling of .gfd files

From: Reinhard Mueller
Subject: Re: [GNUe-dev] Proposal for i18n handling of .gfd files
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 15:55:53 +0200

Am Mit, den 21.07.2004 schrieb kilo um 14:40:
> There are users who set a language for their software, but would like to see
> a form in an other - i know of one for sure, myself. I use Gnome in Gaelic,
> but would like to see forms in Hungarian...

LANG=hu gnue-forms sample.gfd

:-)

> I don't think we should put it in appserver. The .gfd files has to exist
> somewhere, there is no intention afaik to move them to appserver.
> So putting another file next to the .gfd file will not hurt at all.
> If forms were stored in a database, then translations also should.

Ok, so we actually agree and just have slightly different views on the
intentions ;-)

Seriously - I don't think we want to have manually generated forms in
the long run for most of our purposes. Runtime generated form
definitions can solve many problems, starting with translations over
access restrictions to adding individual fields into a existing form.

> Anyway, it should be the responsibility of the standard form developers to
> try to provide enough space on the standard forms.

That is not possible. I have no idea how long the translation of "item"
in Hungarian is. And having a reserve of 100% for all labels would make
the forms look quite ugly, IMHO.

> > The problem here is that you have to translate each form seperately.
> > This might work for small 2-tier applications.

> I don't intend to build a common language repository and translate using that.
> Imho standard forms won't change much in their word/phrase usage, so
> maintaining translations will not be that hard.

In the application I will be replacing with GNUe in the long run, I have
350 forms of which about 50% contain the word "item". It might still
make a difference if I have to translate that once or 180 times.

Thanks,
--
Reinhard Mueller
GNU Enterprise project