gnue-dev

Re: [GNUe-dev] Intuitive behaviour in Forms

From: Jason Cater
Subject: Re: [GNUe-dev] Intuitive behaviour in Forms
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2004 15:40:29 -0500

Chafar,

On Thursday 15 July 2004 02:43 pm, address@hidden wrote:
> It would be good 'per se'. In addition, it would do more clear what
> field has the focus, that's one of the problems I've found (this could
> be an issue of wx driver). But, still, I think it would be wonderful to
> find a way to mark very very very well the field with the focus, because
> in complex forms, the field with the focus says what will happen when
> you press some keys.

This is something I've planned to do for a while, but never got around to it.
I had planned on doing the same thing Tom described in a later email; i.e.,
highlight the current field in a cream yellow (by default, or another color
as specified in gnue.conf.)

> May be another issue I've seen in forms helps with this stuff: I've
> always made a clear distinction between navigating and editing,
> defaulting always to navigation. I've found very ugly that when I
> acquire a record I'm already editing it; it should be needed a clear
> action to enter editing mode: a keystroke is not so much work, and you
> feel much more comfortable.

This is intriguing -- I really like this idea, and it would solve several
issues I have with my users (i.e., accidentally editing data when they were
querying, but for some reason, saving afterwards.)

I may look at implementing this. From a coding standpoint, it would be easy to
add.

> I've would like to offer a much more defined envision; I was waiting to
> know much better forms architecture and behaviour to do it, but Reinhard
> has thrown the issue...

We welcome all input, even if we won't agree 100% with everything :)

-- Jason