gnue-dev

Re: [GNUe-dev] static data and gnue-gsdgen/gnue-schema

From: Reinhard Mueller
Subject: Re: [GNUe-dev] static data and gnue-gsdgen/gnue-schema
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2004 09:57:19 +0200

Hello,

> When an app is to be used with app server, you don't need the definition
> features of gnue-schema, because you have gcd2sql, but data element
> still is useful. It would be much more if gnue-schema were capable of
> generating gnue_id's for each record.

That is outside the scope of gnue-schema. At all, the capability in
gnue-schema to also have data elements (not only schema definitions) in
gsd's was acutally a hack. There will be a tool called gnue-integrator
that is targeted at importing and exporting data, but that's not ready
yet.

> Another aproach could be interesting: Many times, a developer needs
> tweaking with app static data. In such situations, building a form,
> instead of dealing directly with sql code, will be a choosen option.
>
> Once you have it, you easily define your static data directly in db.
> In this scenario, the ability of gnue-gsdgen to generate gsd files
> for choosen app tables would be an appreciated help, and it should be
> easy to implement.

You mean the ability to transport data from one system (where it was
originally entered) to another system (where it will be used)?

To my understanding, that will also be in the scope of gnue-integrator.

Thanks,
--
Reinhard Mueller
GNU Enterprise project