gnue-dev

Re: [GNUe-dev] Bug tracking system request.

From: chafar
Subject: Re: [GNUe-dev] Bug tracking system request.
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2004 22:41:06 +0200

Hello.

El mar, jun 08, a las 21:27:19 Sacha Schlegel escribía:
> Hi gnuers
>
> Is there any progress on a bug tracking system issue?
>
> I know there was DCL but it is currently not working. What are the
> reasons against a working bug tracking system?
>
> I would suggest to use a bug tracking system which no gnue core
> developer has to maintain, so that core developers can concentrate on
> gnue specific tasks.

Ummhhh... May be GNUe development isn't still mature for a public bug
tracking system, I can understand this.

Every time someone asks for usable status of GNUe, developers claim
that is usable, because they use it in a regular manner. It seems that
they *really* want people can use GNUe.

But GNUe is still evolving, and has bugs in different basic (and
changing) features. I suppose that if one wants stay informed about the
status of such bugs, has to stay connected to IRC. Of course, they do
the code and have de right of doing things as they want, best matched
their uses, etc.

We have talked about theese things some time ago in this list. Some of
us think that is virtually imposible having a spread base of users with
just IRC support for basic things such this we talk today: bugs status,
specially, bugs affecting relevant features status.

May be, in this specific issue, could be possible distribute svn log
messages, so users could know updates relevant to their needs. Is this
posible, a mailing list with svn update log messages?

Another idea, just for when developers bussiness makes it posible, could
be publishing patches for relevant resolved bugs against last public
release. Today, if you want to use the code that solve that bug you
were waiting for, you have to use cvs/snapshot code, but this, as all of
us know, leads you into fresh new code, with new bugs.

That said, I want to thank all GNUe developers for their efforts on a
well conceived, really usefull and free development platform. And also
to say that I'm aware about the difficult to react as one would like
when the TODO list is so big.

greetings.
--
José Esteban