gnue-dev

[GNUe-dev] an inquiry

From: linuxg33k
Subject: [GNUe-dev] an inquiry
Date: Sun, 06 Jun 2004 14:59:04 -0700

Good afternoon gentlemen.

A quick thanks for creating Gnotime. I have looked around for project management / time tracking types of solutions and Gnotime has really helped me out a lot. You guys got the balance of some critical features absolutely right, for example, why have a time tracking tool if a billing report could not be generated?
Very nice, your effort is greatly appreciated.

I have been also looking deeper into a purely Linux / open source based business process solution stack, and have found that while many individual solutions to many individual problems are solved, there is no uniform approach taken to building discreete and independent projects on a framework that would allow for interoperability between the various solutions (outside of the solutions being open source and as such some type of glue may be possible in hacker tradition). Somewhere down the line I will need to tie in GNOTIME with other applications, and what my current research seems to show is that a framework along the lines of what the guys at http://www.gnuenterprise.org are doing would be the best approach. While I have not given the issue of porting GNOTIME to the GNUE framework my fulltime attention, I was wondering if I could get your opinion on this matter.

What I would like to hear from you is, especially since you have already written GNOTIME and are experts in that particular tool/solution, would GNUE be a valid approach to porting GNOTIME to a framework to allow GNOTIME information to be shared with a greater solution stack? Can you offer any insight on what the gnue.org project is doing right or wrong, and what in your opinion would be the best way to approach getting GNOTIME to share information with other parts of a greater business solutions stack (afterall, GNOTIME is not necessarily a separate solution from something like project management or accounting soultions, it's simply a discrete way of dealing with a particular subset of the business management problem)? Being that we are talking about open source, I am certain that this type of project has been considered before, can you offer any insight on what has been either tried or just talked about and what the results of these initiatives have been? Have they succeded, failed, not started? Any insight on why?

Once again, my thanks for creating GNOTIME. It's such a great tool right now that I know I will haveto tie this into a bigger picture - as demands on me grow I will need to share data from GNOTIME between accounting, project management and other tools, and seeing as you are the experts on GNOTIME already, your input on the above would be extremely helpfull. I want to make sure I do my research before beginning the long road to building some of these tools, I want to do it right.

Thank you.

- Robert