gnue-dev

[GNUe-dev] Introduction

From: Jeff LaMarche
Subject: [GNUe-dev] Introduction
Date: Fri, 7 May 2004 21:23:02 -0400

Greetings, all.

I ran across your project today for the first time (following a link from the PostgreSQL website), and am very excited by what you are doing. I am currently working as an independent consultant doing PeopleSoft implementation and integration work, but also know a number of other languages -- including Java C, C++ and Objective-C, SQL, and SQR -- and am also familiar with several operating systems and databases.

Prior to going independent, I was the lead technical developer at PeopleSoft for production releases for Human Resources (recently renamed Human Capital Management). Part of the reason I left PeopleSoft was due to frustration caused by the fact that legacy spaghetti code and an archaic architecture combined with management pressure for short development cycles made it all but impossible to modernize their HR suite (despite the pretty web-enabled surface, the underlying architecture is struggling under its own weight).

So, needless to say, the possibility of getting involved relatively early in a project such as yours excites me, and I believe that I can bring to your project a lot of hard-learned lessons on how to (and how not to) design an enterprise HR system.

It will take me a little while to get up to speed, learn Python, and get familiar with the code that's already been written. What I've seen at so far looks to be well-thought-out, well implemented, and well-documented, so hats off to you folks, and I look forward to getting more involved.

Cheers,
Jeff LaMarche