gnue-dev

[GNUe-dev] Request for Backups

From: Jason Cater
Subject: [GNUe-dev] Request for Backups
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 14:40:50 -0600

This is mainly addressed to our core developers...

As you know, we are self-hosting our own subversion tree. I do nightly
rsyncs of the entire gnuenterprise.org machine ("ash"), and put those
rsyncs in my regular tape backup rotation. So, we are getting good,
verified backups  of ash regularly.

However, given the critical nature of our subversion tree, I would feel much
better knowing that others have backups of our code tree as well. I ask that
a few people with decent bandwidth and approximately 350-400Mb of spare hard
disk space to consider keeping a mirror of our repository.

To do so, please cron the following script (changing MIRRORDIR, of course):

  #!/bin/sh
  DEST=/path/to/your/mirror/dir
  SRC=http://www.gnuenterprise.org/developers/svn-dumps/gnue-svn-current.gz
  cd $DEST
  wget -q $SRC && \
    mv gnue-svn-current.gz gnue-svn-`date +"%Y-%d-%m"`.gz && \
    find $DEST -name 'gnue-svn-*.gz' -mtime +6 -exec rm "{}" \;

The last line keeps up to 7 copies of our dump. You can adjust this to your
taste.

Currently, each gnue-svn-current.gz dump is 45-50Mb in size. I do the dumps
at 12:00am CST (-06:00) and they take about 20 minutes to complete.

If you plan to grab copies regularly, please email me with your approximate
cron time so I can plan accordingly.

FYI, these dumps are created using "svnadmin dump /var/svn/gnue".

Also, at the same web address are dumps for gnue-sb and gnue-contrib.

Thanks,

Jason Cater
GNU Enterprise