gnue-dev

Re: [GNUe-dev] [RFC] PyUnit Framework for GNU Enterprise

From: Derek Neighbors
Subject: Re: [GNUe-dev] [RFC] PyUnit Framework for GNU Enterprise
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2003 11:05:36 -0700 (MST)

Jason Cater said:
> James and I have long wanted a unit-testing framework for GNUe.  We both
> have looked at PyUnit, but aside from some very basic stuff, we couldn't
> figure out how we'd get a lot of GNUe's parts tested in a
> non-interactive environment.

I have long since begged for this (as have others).  I think it has mostly
been a coming of age thing.  The bigger the project gets the more
important it becomes.  Also, the more volunteers we have to maintain such
things.

Breaking things is very near and dear to my heart.  I would say even if we
have to have "interactive" testing suites.  I for one am willing to
volunteer regularly running and testing the framework pieces.  In fact, I
will be willing to start and lead the Quality Assurance team.

I think once some of the basics are there and documentation exists for
writing new test cases, the Q/A team could probably take on a lot of the
unit testing type workload and free core developers to do better things.

It would however require that we fix DCL and probably be more diligent
about using it.  So that we make sure things are fixed, slated for being
fixed or marked as non-issue with sanity.

I have been itching to do some production work and do some stuff others
dont want to including user documentation, testing and continuing of
gnue-sb module development.

> I'd like to see us try, though. I agree with Reinhard that each module
> should have its own.  I'd imagine we'd add test/ directories to each
> module.

I agree with this.

-Derek