gnue-dev

Re: [GNUe-dev] Unique IDs in GNUe Appserver

From: Reinhard Müller
Subject: Re: [GNUe-dev] Unique IDs in GNUe Appserver
Date: 01 Jun 2003 16:40:56 +0200

Jan,

Am Don, 2003-05-29 um 14.19 schrieb Jan Ischebeck:
> I'm more and more convinced that gnue appserver shouldn't depend on
> unique ids stored in the database. I would prefer that the unique ids
> needed for the rpc communication between server and client should be
> dynamicly created instead.

I also believe we don't necesarily need a UUID. What we need is a
meaningless primary key for every table that is portable over different
database backends and gerenated automatically by appserver.

If we find a better solution on how to provide this, I'm all for it.
However, I didn't find one yet.

(BTW I even think we wouldn't need UUIDs for RPC communication. We could
use any other kind of primary key there, too)

Thanks,
--
Reinhard Müller
Verein zur Förderung Freier Software