gnue-dev

Re: [GNUe-dev] xml schema

From: Leandro Guimarães Faria Corcete Dutra
Subject: Re: [GNUe-dev] xml schema
Date: 28 May 2003 19:36:04 +0200

pOn Wed, 2003-05-28 at 18:06, Christian Selig wrote:

> I think XML Schema fits nowhere into GNUe. It is not the right thing for
> describing databases, because we rely on relational ones (currently, and I
> don't think that will change till way past 1.0).

        I hope that will never change!

        I really can't imagine anything I would not do with a relational
database.  Too bad SQL isn't relational, but now there are some projects
to remedy that: Dataphor (proprietary), Duro and Opus.  Hope it doesn't
take too long for either Dataphor to be freed, or Duro and Opus to
develop.

> BTW, XML Schema's complexity seems to me like the typical Brooksian "second
> system effect". A pity they messed it up.

        Agreed, but more than that: it is a consequence of ignoring the results
of Codd's "The Great Debate".

--
 _   Leandro Guimarães Faria Corsetti Dutra    +41 (21) 648 11 34
/ \  Lausanne, Vaud, Suisse                    +41 (78) 778 11 34