gnue-dev

Re: [Gnue-dev] New Architecture Drawing based on Whitepaper.

From: Leandro Guimarães Faria Corsetti Dutra
Subject: Re: [Gnue-dev] New Architecture Drawing based on Whitepaper.
Date: 23 Jan 2003 10:32:06 +0100

On Fri, 2003-01-17 at 15:27, Stanley A. Klein wrote:

> Let me explain the importance of the mapping to assurance.  First,
> assurance is important if the quality of enforcement of rules in the
> application is ever likely to need to be justified to a hard-nosed auditor,
> a worried Board of Directors, a regulatory body, a judge, or a security
> accreditation board (used in some government agencies).
>
> GNUe itself is not likely to be able to provide the quality of enforcement
> (i.e., the assurance) those people are likely to be looking for.  In those
> cases, the user will need to be able to depend on the operating system
> and/or the database system to provide suitable enforcement.

        As I see it, rules must be enforced by the DBMS, the OS would never be
enough.  Unfortunately, there are rules that only would reasonably be
implemented in a RDBMS, of which the only available implementation is
proprietary, namely Alphora Dataphor.  One is left with a choice of
either implementing a true RDBMS, or instead use the least bad
approximation, which currently seems to be SQL.

        As for OO, it can't provide in itself a data model, integrity
constrainst and interactive manipulation, not even to the already low
SQL standards.  OO sure is nice to programmers, but not to end users and
DBAs.  And anyway one can do OO on a relational database nicely enough,
even if on SQL it is more of a chore.

--
 _
/ \ Leandro Guimarães Faria Corsetti Dutra        +41 (21) 216 15 93