gnue-dev

Re: [Gnue-dev] Appserver/Common Issues

From: Neil Tiffin
Subject: Re: [Gnue-dev] Appserver/Common Issues
Date: Sat, 23 Nov 2002 16:23:07 -0500

At 9:03 PM +0100 11/23/02, Reinhard Mueller wrote:
Am Sam, 2002-11-23 um 20.27 schrieb Neil Tiffin:
 At 4:23 PM +0000 11/23/02, Robert Jenkins wrote:
 >Presumably the usernames & passwords will be stored in the main
 >database, so the program must have a built-in or configured 'fixed'
 >password to be able to verify user logins (and create a fixed
 >'superuser' login when initially installed to allow users to be added by
 >the system admin?).

 This sounds good for phase I, but having user passwords in the
 database will be suboptimal in any situation that has more than a few
 users. From a maintenance standpoint we should be able to use LDAP or
 Active Directory to validate passwords and not store them in the
 database.

We were talking about using PAM for authentication, which would mean
(from my understanding) that we can use at least LDAP as well as simple
shadowpasswords and more. IMHO there are a _lot_ of thing that make
sense to generally store in the database, but not the passwords.

Reinhard,

The only quick reference I could find to PAM and Python was at
http://www.pangalactic.org/PyPAM/
and here
http://www.tummy.com/Software/PyPam/index.html
also not updated since python 1.5.2 (1999)

and this seemed real dated.  Do you have a pointer to more recent info?

Linux Pam info is at
http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/libs/pam/index.html

I guess I missed something because I can't find recent info about Python/PAM??

Neil
address@hidden