gnue-dev

[Gnue-dev] Re: Release Process

From: Stanley A. Klein
Subject: [Gnue-dev] Re: Release Process
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2002 14:14:45

This is a response to Jason's reasonable rant.  No apologies needed for it.

We need to work out ways that make it easier to participate in pre-release
testing.

I finally got my database connection problem fixed (Jason was cc:'ed on the
play by play messages; I am summarizing the results in a separate message
for this list).  But even if I didn't have the connection problem and had
wanted to participate in the pre-release testing, it would have been
difficult for me.  I think I've fixed part of the problem, but other parts
need some work.

What Jason has called my "mutant install" (for tar.gz files) seems to work
and makes it relatively easy to create a GNUe installation in my user
directory that doesn't have consequences for my system configuration.  I
think it is a good way to install pre-release versions for testing.  It is
easy to delete the installation when the testing is finished.

I also think that if there are CVS branches for the pre-release versions
(or actually for anything else) there needs to be documentation on the web
page on how to access them.  I only know how to get to the main CVS.

We probably need (if we don't already have them) pre-planned test cases,
and a plan for going through them.  We need to include a plan for
regression testing, and that needs to be provided to potential testers.

Something else that might help is a package distriuted with the pre-release
versions that contains files and tools that might help in testing.  One
thing it could contain is setup-cvs.py.  I used it for my "mutant"
quasi-cvs install.  I copied it from CVS, but someone who doesn't have a
CVS copy might find its inclusion in a test support package useful.

I can't comment on other parts of Jason's rant, such as the intensity of
management, frequency of releases, role of core team versus other community
members, and similar items.  As the saying goes, they are "above my pay
grade."  :-)

Except that I will say that GNUe has developed to the point where a python
newbie (which I am) finds many parts of it difficult to follow.  I will
help where I can, especially in the area of advocacy, but there are some
areas that will necessarily rest on the shoulders of the key developers,
because they are the ones who understand the guts of the code.

And may they keep up the great work.

Stan Klein