gnue-dev

Re: [Gnue-dev] Our packaging should be changed to comply with the Linux

From: Stanley A. Klein
Subject: Re: [Gnue-dev] Our packaging should be changed to comply with the Linux Standards Base
Date: Mon, 07 Oct 2002 11:05:53

I looked at the LSB following a recent link from Slashdot.  Turns out I
recalled things somewhat incorrectly.  The LSB actually specifies File
Hierarchy Standard 2.2, which defines the meaning of the various
directories.  The use of /usr/share for packages appears to derive from the
interpretations of the FHS by GNU/Linux distro providers.  (The FHS applies
to all *nix systems.)

There is a point of confusion that appears to me to arise because many
application packages are included in distros, and /usr/share is supposed to
be used for "application-specific, architecture-independent" software
supplied with the system.  The problem is that there is essentially no
difference in GNU/Linux between packages supplied as part of the distro and
other packages not supplied as part of a specific version of a distro but
which might be included in a later version or in another distro with
compatible packaging.

I would suggest adding a comment near the top of the GNUe static packaging
file to the effect that although the procedure was tested with /usr/local,
in static packaging for GNU/Linux, conformance to the LSB/FHS and distro
practices is desirable, and accordingly /usr/share should be used.

Stan Klein