gnue-dev

Re: [Gnue-dev] Trouble using gnue

From: Derek Neighbors
Subject: Re: [Gnue-dev] Trouble using gnue
Date: 19 Aug 2002 20:59:40 -0700

> 1. Let's say we have master and slave blocks in a
> form/page. We do not want the user to run a query on
> the the slave block only on the master block. How do
> we restrict that? Don't you think this will be true
> always. Shouldn't this be hard-coded into forms?

Currently we dont support queries on the slave.  The error message that
says so is broken.  As soon as that error message is fixed then I think
your immediate problem is sovled. (that is until you want to query on
the slave) ;)

> 2. We're using surrogate primary keys for all tables.
> This way business logic is independent of database
> referential logic. These surrogate keys are to be
> taken from a sequence created in postgresql using -
> create seuence <seq_name>. How do I read the next
> value of this sequence. In sql I would write this as -
> select next_val(seq_name). How do I do this from a
> trigger in forms?

There is magic syntax to do this.
<entry x="1" y="1" field="contact_id" name="ntryPK" hidden=""
             width="10">
  <trigger name="getContactSequence" type="PRE-INSERT">
if self.isEmpty():
  self.autofillBySequence('sql_dcl_contact')
</trigger>
</entry>

This puts the next_val of sequence sql_dcl_contact in this hidden entry
which is used as the key for other fields.

> 3. I couldn't find the bug status of ticket #78 - the
> web page wouldn't open -
> https://www.gnuenterprise.org/dclgw/ or
> http://www.gnuenterprise.org/dclgw/
> So do we now have a method to refresh the list in a
> dropdown after modifying the datasource. It's
> essential.

No you dont (or at least not that I know of) We had to move our server
it should be back up now.  Scratch that its not just yet give it a few
more days.

> 4. What about the pygtk2 form we wrote. Won't you
> accept it?

More than likely we will accept it.  We need to test it first, most
regretably none of us are running gnome2.  So we need to get a gnome2
machine first, which has been more than we have been able to take on as
of yet.  I think I will have jason review the patch as long as it doesnt
break the wx driver, I think we will commit it untested in hopes other
gnome2 users can test it.

-Derek