gnue-dev

[Gnue-dev] read username and passwords from connections and netrc

From: John Lenton
Subject: [Gnue-dev] read username and passwords from connections and netrc
Date: Tue, 28 May 2002 18:17:49 -0300

This patch adds understanding username and password tags from
connections.conf, and a first approach at netrc files. For
example, if my connections.conf has

    [papo]
    provider = psycopg
    host = martina.fsl.org.ar
    dbname = papo
    comment = Hope it works

and the username 'john' allows you to log in without a password, you could add
a line

    username = john

to connections.conf, or have a line in your .netrc like

    machine 'gnue://martina.fsl.org.ar/psycopg/papo' login 'john' password ''

then you're not prompted for a username/password.

The 's are needed around machine name, and probably around
password (so good passwords work), but probably not around
username; however, I made them obligatory so it's consistent.

Actually, I didn't. netrc needs them around some passwords, but
all I do is read in foo[1:-1], so a username of XjohnX would've
worked just as well :)

Yes, having username and passwords in connections.conf is
extremely insecure. Don't do it for databases that you care
about.

Same goes for .netrc, really.

--
John Lenton (address@hidden) -- Random fortune:
A casual stroll through a lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove