gnue-dev

Re: [Gnue-dev] Testing framework?

From: Derek Neighbors
Subject: Re: [Gnue-dev] Testing framework?
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2002 11:11:37 -0600 (CST)

> Our goal is to create a few comprehensive test "files" for each client
> tool that will be used for regression testing.  For example, we will
> have a few forms that utilize all the supported elements that a form
> file can have. Likewise, we will have a few reports that exploit the
> reports engine.

Yes I generally before a release run a few 'guantlet' forms I have to test
functionality.  I would like to see this more robust.

> At this point in our development, I'm not sure how useful a set of test
> classes would be. Basically, this would be chasing a moving target.
> Also, I'm not too sure of the usefulness of such a set of "test classes"
> for the client tools (forms, reports, and designer) if we had regression
> "test cases" for these. Eventually, such a set of classes might be
> useful for regression testing GNUe-Common and GEAS, but I think we are
> still a bit early in our development cycle to spend much time on this.
>
> Any other thoughts?

I have been investigating several Python testing suites that are general
python.  I will give a formal report on them soon.  Most basically act
like a compiler and catch 'errors' that a compiler would catch, but one or
two actually run test on classes methods.

Short term I would hope we have a better set of 'guantlet' forms.

Mid term I would like to institute some prepackaged GPL python test
scripts that do general python syntax related testing.

Long term as we have a more solid framework (non moving target) we can
assemble some test scripts.  One area we could probably do this soon on as
it seems to be pretty solid is our db code in common.

At this point I would hate to see too much focus on such things as there
is still so much to do in the framework its self.

-Derek