gnue-dev

[Gnue-dev] DataObjects.txt

From: Neil Tiffin
Subject: [Gnue-dev] DataObjects.txt
Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2001 07:42:46 -0500

After i read the IRC log i look at dataobjects.txt and have some questions/comments.

1) In larger systems we need to have the ResultSets manipulated as subsets. So if i create a ResultSet of 1,000,000 records and I have a table in the GUI that displays 15 records I dont want to have to send all 1,000,000 records to the GUI. Now I see that we could use the nextRecord() and lastRecord() functions. But I really think we will need a getNRecords(startAt=0, number=1) function, even if the API is not immediately implemented (although it should not be hard to do).

2) Concerning the definition of "conditions" used to create ResultSets. These "conditions" must have both selection conditions and sorting conditions. I was not sure what a GConditions was? But it did not sound like it did sorting. Again this must be done on the server to make sure getNRecords() (or for that matter nextRecord() ) works correctly.

3) I did not see any introspection functions. For example get a list of field names, get characteristics of fields, get number of records in DataObject, etc. Now I admit that if we are planning on making the introspection data just system data objects with standard field names, then I would be very happy.

--
Neil
address@hidden