gnucobol-users

DISPLAY OMITTED

From: Wim Niemans
Subject: DISPLAY OMITTED
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2022 12:10:18 +0100

I’m using gnuCobol release 3.1.2 on android tablet with terms from f-droid.
I’m encountering a discrepancy on the use of DISPLAY OMITTED.

My application uses all over the place a statement like:

DISPLAY OMITTED LINE 01 POSITION 01 ERASE END SCREEN.

According to the manuals, this should be a syntax error, but the compiler
accepts it.
Above statement is perfectly legal in Acu Cobol, and it is used to position the
cursor and clear the rest of the screen or line.
This is useful to clear additional info from the screen that might cause
misunderstanding to the user.

Now, compiling delivers a warning that OMITTED is unfinished, which can be
suppressed by -Wno-unfinished.
Executing the program delivers a libcob: error: codegen error, when the program
hits the statement.

Changing OMITTED into the literal ‘ ‘ runs ok.
The construct ERASE END SCREEN seems to be legal, but should be a syntax error
also, according to the manual.

So, what is the current state on above usage.
Does DISPLAY OMITTED manage to become standard? If so, when?
Same for ERASE END SCREEN or ERASE END LINE?

Thanks,
wim niemans