Re: geda/lepton schematics

From: Felix Salfelder
Subject: Re: geda/lepton schematics
Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2022 11:14:54 +0100

On Sat, Mar 26, 2022 at 10:47:31AM +0100, karl@aspodata.se wrote:
> You wrote earlier that:
> > Connections in gEDA schematics are implicit, and port positions are
> > needed to infer them. For this, the symbol database is required. The gEDA
> > library has been used to look up the symbols.
>
> By running the lepton/geda netlister you get the connections.
> You don't need to have your own code for it.

Gnucap is not a netlister. The "code" is just a parser, and the
intention is not to flatten the netlist, but to read in the schematic as
a whole. This is not only required for lepton/geda, but wherever
circuits are represented as a schematic.

> lepton/geda has some code to produce verilog.
> If verilog is the if. you want, why spend time on the geda plugin when
> it might be more fruitful to get help from e.g. the lepton people to
> shape up their verilog handling ?

Al has proposed a data interchange system quite some time ago [1].
Nobody has done this, nor did the lepton people. I wasn't standing in
their way. Note that gnucap-geda dates back to 2012, and is pushing in
this direction since.

Regardless. In order to make sense of the Symbols in Gnucap,
electrically, we need a library with component models. I have started
one in gnucap-geda/include/*.v. This is meant to resolve the default
values for the component text attribute in the gEDA symbol library, by
section. Such a library will give us something to play and explore,
until we will be able to do Verilog/AMS.

> The drawback with that would be back annotation if I understand you:

The real problem is data interchange between eda tools, particularly in
FOSS tools. Netlists, schematics, pcbs, floorplans...

cheers
felix

[1] https://archive.fosdem.org/2016/schedule/event/eda_data_interchange/