Re: [Gnucap-devel] Logic .. history and moving forward.

From: Felix Salfelder
Subject: Re: [Gnucap-devel] Logic .. history and moving forward.
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2019 12:08:21 +0100

Hi Al.

Thanks for the summary. I did some exploration and preliminary stuff.

On Sat, Aug 04, 2018 at 07:57:22PM -0400, al davis wrote:
> The devices need to become plugins.  The different kind of gates should
> be different devices, not variants of a device, so new ones can be
> added.

this is working. i hacked lang_spice to still use these devices, so the
tests do not break away.

> The "connectmodule" also needs to become a plugin, so new ones can be
> added.

done. i moved some of MODEL_LOGIC into BUILTIN_CM which is such a
plugin now. BUILTIN_CM is now used in DEV_LOGIC, but also works
as standalone connect module, to some extent. more untangling is
possible.

> A LOGIC base class that inherits from COMPONENT needs to be created.  A
> CONNECTMODULE base class that inherits from both ELEMENT and LOGIC
> needs to be created.  Is the separate LOGIC class really necessary?  It
> can wait.

CONNECTMODULE inheriting from ELEMENT works, it dictates the port names
and order, i don't know how to fix it, but it seems very minor.

LOGIC is not urgent. everything else needs work.

> I think the "logic-1" branch is moving in the right direction.

in logic-1 i had hacked LOGIC_NODE. i have reverted this (now conn-5),
so the new plugins also work with master & develop. they replace the
logic, and are incompatible with the current logic devices.

looking at verilog-AMS, i think LOGIC_NODE::_family should become the
"discipline", but also for non logic nodes. disciplines are actually
NODE variants. do we need both?

fwiw: verilog-AMS logic (discrete) nodes give access to the drivers
connected to it. i don't exactly know where to put it -- pluggable NODEs
might be useful.

cheers
felix