Re: [Gnucap-devel] CMake, file extensions

From: Felix Salfelder
Subject: Re: [Gnucap-devel] CMake, file extensions
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2017 11:12:21 +0100

On Sun, Feb 12, 2017 at 09:40:35PM -0500, al davis wrote:
> The file suffix .. .so , .dylib, .dll ....  others?  Aside from just
> the name match, having different suffix makes for an inconsistent
> user experience.  The names are different on different systems.

i ran into this, when I added dlopen to qucs. there, i add the platform
dependent suffix to the plugin name, before dlopen. i.e. in the UI, all
plugin names are stripped-down.

somehow inspired by modprobe. only takes the module name (without
suffix) as argument. iirc some day linux changed ".o" to ".ko" for
modules. and that change was not visible on the user end.

what we could do, is replace ".so$" by the platform specific suffix
before dlopen (and warn). otherwise, if the name does not end with
".so", just add the suffix. that should go to c_attach.cc and md.h.

> Should we make up a new suffix that is the same on all systems?

that would be another way. any plans to maintain backwards compatibility
with that? side effects? advantages? shared objects are not portable, i
consider it less confusing to use the platform dependent extension.
when i think of an nfs share or a usb stick with a gnucap working
directory (and a jit cache), i do want different extensions...

cheers
felix