Re: [Gnucap-devel] [Bug-gnucap] gnucap fails at start due to " ^ ? ..

From: al davis
Subject: Re: [Gnucap-devel] [Bug-gnucap] gnucap fails at start due to " ^ ? ..
Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2016 15:25:32 -0400

OOn Thu, 4 Aug 2016 20:28:38 +0200
Felix Salfelder <address@hidden> wrote:

> 0) ./configure
> $ $EDITOR my_gnucap_today
> $ make install SELECT=my_gnucap_today
>
> 1) select what goes into default-plugins at configure time? install the
> rest as single modules?
> 2) same, but make menuconfig or something like that.
> 3) split up everything into single modules, install them all.  select which

> and what granularity?
> a) per-directory opt/spice opt/readline opt/fancyload opt/whatnot
> b) per-file
> 0+b is similar to what we have. i think i'd prefer 1+a.

My preference is more along the lines of 2+a or 3+a, but in any case
"+a".   Thinking about it a little more .. absolutely 3+a.

That is the intent of the multiload branch, which isn't right yet.  It's
normal to make and throw away a few implementations before getting it
right.

What needs to happen is:

1a. "load" (c_attach.cc) needs its own search path.
1b. it needs to be able to load directories.
1c. it needs to be able to compile.

Then ...

2a. Startup and md.h need to make the trivial changes to support (1).
2b. Review and likely change installation places accordingly,
considering possible automated and manual ways to do it, also
considering that most likely it will change after installation, and
that users will want both user and project variants.

Then ...

3. Look at configure, menuconfig, etc., if you want.