Re: [Gnucap-devel] [Bug-gnucap] gnucap fails at start due to " ^ ? : can

From: Felix Salfelder
Subject: Re: [Gnucap-devel] [Bug-gnucap] gnucap fails at start due to " ^ ? : cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory"
Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2016 11:00:54 +0200

(moving to -devel)

On Thu, Aug 04, 2016 at 01:15:08AM -0400, al davis wrote:
> If I change the name back to libgnucap-default-plugins.so everywhere it
> works.

similarly, i have seen people add "." to PATH, to make it "work".
no, really.

a plugin is *not* a library, and we should not trick dlopen that way.
neither should plugins be put into the library dir, because that means
extra hassle for package maintainers.

> ok ...  I thought the path was the same as for libraries,

that's what i had assumed when i made the change. yet i never used
gnucap without an RPATH set and never installed plugins next to the
libraries. (see the autotools branch for an ad-hoc standard
implementation.)

anyway i didn't notice. (sorry about that).

> The fix coming turns out to be needed by multiload anyway ...  Gnucap
> needs an explicit search path for plugins.

but that should be a plugin, no? (maybe the other way around?)
currently there are no "optional" default plugins in main... oO

is that similar to making readline optional? i mean, if any of this
will be a plugin, it still should not be an extension "pack", but rather
be part of default-plugins (optionally).

(no i don't have a good solution, perhaps the selection should be done
by ./configure? other people in other projects use menuconfig for that
task. very likely overkill here.)

cheers
felix