Re: [Gnucap-devel] git repository cleanup

From: al davis
Subject: Re: [Gnucap-devel] git repository cleanup
Date: Sat, 21 May 2016 02:20:53 -0400

On Mon, 16 May 2016 23:17:45 -0500
Kevin Zheng <address@hidden> wrote:

> On cmake-WIP, it's been a long time since I last took a look. The main
> reason it's stalled is that CMake needs substantial coaxing to play well
> with the staged Make process; that is, I'm not sure if there's a clean
> way to work in the existing build system.
>
> For this reason I think it might be better to stick to the build systems
> we have. I was originally thinking CMake because it generates lots of
> types of Make files (e.g. IDE project files), but only if you stick to
> the primitives that CMake has generators for.
>
> If cmake still sounds interesting I can take another look and see if I
> can kick it back into shape.

I really don't know, but that's what branches are for.  Branches are
places to try things that may or may not be successful, but the only
way we know is to try it.

One thing I like about CMake is that it doesn't add a lot of clutter.
It's all in the "CMakeLists.txt" files and the /cmake directory.  It
can coexist with other ways to do it.

What I don't like about it is that it adds another dependency, which
may not be available everywhere.  This means that it can't be the only
build system provided, but it can coexist with plain Makefiles or the
modular plain Makefiles I have used for 30 years, so it's an optional
dependency which is not as bad.

That's really all I know about it.

Bringing it back .. it's up to you.