Re: [Gnucap-devel] subcircuits and commons

From: al davis
Subject: Re: [Gnucap-devel] subcircuits and commons
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 2015 13:34:48 -0400

On Sunday 13 September 2015, Felix Salfelder wrote:
> yes. currently, I (still?) need DEV_SUBCKT_PROTO on top, to
> turn the simulation commands for the prototype into no-ops.
> anyway, lang_* only sees BASE_SUBCKT* and DEV_SUBCKT(_PROTO)
> could safely move into a plugin.

That's really a change that doesn't change anything.

But now I see remember the MODEL_CARD is needed, and recall the
intent .....

The MODEL HIERARCHY is still unnecessary baggage.  The model
expansion mechanism is based on cloning objects, so having two
is bad.

So ...  MODEL_CARD should become "final" in the sense of not
inheriting from it.  The "is-a" relationship should change to a
"has-a" relationship.

The MODEL_CARD should become simply an enclosure to block its
contents from evaluation.  All models (subckt masters,
paramsets, spice .model, etc) get a MODEL_CARD, with whatever to
clone attached at _component_proto.  Having it one step away
will block subckt masters and the like from being evaluated.

This was the original intent .. it's coming back.

I am swamped now ... preparing for a conference next week.  I
expect to have more time to look at it after the conference.

al.