[Gnucap-devel] waves branch and wave copy constructor

From: al davis
Subject: [Gnucap-devel] waves branch and wave copy constructor
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2014 15:39:28 -0500

I have been working on the waves branch, trying to get it ready
for merge.

There is a problem with an excessive number of hidden deep
copies of WAVE objects.  ..  so more work is needed before it
can be merged to master.

Most likely I will rework it to use the DISPATCHER instead plain
std::map containers.

Also ..  planning to partly back out the recent wave copy
constructor mod ...  make it (again) private, but add a clone
function so you can copy a WAVE.  A public copy constructor,
even if "explicit" opens up the possibility of accidental deep
copies, which can adversely impact performance.

This is consistent with gnucap design.  In most cases, the copy
constructor is restricted to prevent accidental deep copies of
large objects.