Re: [Gnucap-devel] Gnucap Comprehensive Help System Implementation Detai

From: al davis
Subject: Re: [Gnucap-devel] Gnucap Comprehensive Help System Implementation Details
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2014 00:07:36 -0400

On Thursday 29 May 2014, Rishabh Yadav wrote:
> as we are storing the help text which is a string in a
> variable,so this string will be embedded in the compiled
> shared object(.so) files.So,this string will always get
> loaded whenever the plugin will be loaded.As the string may
> be of any length so if 100 plugins are loaded at the same
> time then loading of 100 help strings may cause performance
> issues and if user don't need the help manual then efforts
> to load help string will go waste.

In the simple case it is not much data, and it is a lot easier
than searching for files.  It is probably less data than a
single instance of a device.

For a full manual with examples, you have a point.  A user may
or may not choose to install the full documentation.

Why not do both? .. simple help built in and full manual in
separate files.  The simple one can just print the string.  The
full manual in separate files should be in texinfo format.  You
will need a way to install it, find it, search it, .....