Re: [Gnucap-devel] CMake WIP

From: al davis
Subject: Re: [Gnucap-devel] CMake WIP
Date: Mon, 5 Aug 2013 11:56:44 -0400

On Monday 05 August 2013, Felix Salfelder wrote:
> patchlev.h is included in 4 .cc files. recompilation/linking
> takes about 10 seconds. thats much better than a wrong
> version string, if you want to rely on it.

It could also be included in plugins, but isn't yet.

It could be used as a mechanism to check that a plugin is
compatible with the executable that loads it ..  which I have
found is needed but is not done now.

Since this is an internal matter, I think a simple code would be
better than that whole string ....  perhaps the RCS number (no
longer maintained) or the GIT tag, or something else.

The RCS number is probably the best way, except that we don't
have it anymore unless it is manually updated.  The git tag is a
random string, which doesn't lend itself to comparisons like
"later than", but it might be the best way.