Re: [Gnucap-devel] Platform checks with config.h

From: al davis
Subject: Re: [Gnucap-devel] Platform checks with config.h
Date: Sat, 27 Jul 2013 01:50:01 -0400

On Saturday 27 July 2013, Kevin Zheng wrote:
> I was working on getting config.h working with CMake. From
> looking at the autoconf-generated config.h.in, I noticed a
> quite a few #defines that didn't seem to appear in the
> source code. In fact, I can't seem to tell where variables
> such as HAVE_LIBREADLINE appear in the source.

That one is in lib/ap_construct.cc .

> Am I missing something, or has that not been implemented?
> Which defines are actually needed in config.h?

Most of that is not really needed, and will remain so.  There is
no need for you to generate it.

The exception, as of now, is  LIBREADLINE ..  to allow building
with or without.  I say "as of now" because I plan to eliminate
it there and enable the feature as a plugin.

What is missing now, is handling things like whether or not a
system supports plugins.  The MS-Windows plugin support is
untested, because I have no way to test it.  In the 2009-12
snapshot, plugins DID work in windows.  I don't know how
important this is.

I regard excessive use of #ifdef (or equivalent) to be bad
programming, up there with indiscriminate use of gotos.  In
gnucap, almost all of it is md.h, which is by design a place to
collect that stuff.

md == machine dependent