Re: [Gnucap-devel] autoconf-WIP branch (update)

From: Kevin Zheng
Subject: Re: [Gnucap-devel] autoconf-WIP branch (update)
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2013 20:00:49 +0800

On 07/24/2013 17:12, Felix Salfelder wrote:
> i have pushed a new WIP branch with some minimal changes

Instead of making irregular mega-commits, I think it's a better idea to
make small commits and push them as soon as you're sure they're okay.
This is a WIP branch; there is no guarantee for stability. If you commit
often more people have a chance to work on it.

> configure.old is now configure.static. i've tried to move configure (the
> autotools variant) to configure.gnu, but sanitychecks expect "configure"
> within $srcdir. i don't have time to rewrite that, probably it's not
> worth it...

Most users expect a configure script in a file called 'configure,' let's
keep it that way.

> the literals "bsim" and "spice3f" are now gone. and there is a
> .gitignore stub.

And attached is a patch to fix it on FreeBSD, which generates an extra
'aclocal.m4' file.

> i have moved m4 to .autotools/m4. i will keep trying to move more stuff
> into .autotools. maybe, if i come across something.

Most of the projects I've seen use autotools keep the macros in a folder
called 'm4' (the default) or 'macros'. Personally, I see no reason to
hide them in a hidden folder.

> what exactly is compile-time clutter? if you choose to build inside
> another directory, any clutter will be seperated from the source code.

>From what I've seen, autotools doesn't like doing separate build
directories. This is something worth investigating; that means we can
have a cleaner .gitignore folder.

On another side note, I'm interested in giving CMake a serious try
(meaning, do actual checks instead of just doing a build file). If
anyone is interested I can set up a public fork of the repo and do my
work there.

Thanks,
Kevin Zheng